Sunday, March 21, 2010

Research Diary - Class Recording

The class I choose to record is Graphic Design 4, and my professor is Debbie Adams.

Through out the semester we are working on one brand redesign assignment.
We are to select an existing local or regional company based in the GTA. The company must be large enough to have a range of graphic design applications.

The project involves three sections:
1. Research: Demonstrate through practice a familiarity with the stages and strategies of development in the creation of a graphic identity.
2. Visual Mark Development: Demonstrate through practice and outcome the ability to develop and refine a visual mark.
3. Application of Mark: Demonstrate through outcome an ability to apply/integrate a visual mark on a variety of formats and media.



I listed the choice of business types to help my initial research:
Design Manufacturing: Furniture, Carpet, Kitchen, and Lighting
Non-Profit: Environmental Organization, Animal Protection Programs, and Donations
Cultural: Museum or Art Gallery
Service: Architecture or Interior Design
Manufacturing: Healthy or Organic company/product
Retail: Health and Beauty Service
Retail: Restaurant
Entertainment: Fitness or Sport Facility

In the end I decide to go with The Toronto Maple Leafs, because they have a weak visual mark, and it does not stand out from its competitions.


Section 1. Research

My topic: Toronto Maple Leafs

Reason: Their logo is too passive for a hockey team. It does not stand out among the NHL team logos.

Working Process:

1.Information Research
- Research history
- Research logo color
- Research brand identity
- Research symbolic items
- Research target audience
- Research location
- Research budget
- Research public image

My sources mainly come from the Internet, books and encyclopedias, and fan sites. All the research materials are used to prepare the logo redesign. I realized the more I learn about the company, more possibilities and limitations will occur. For example I learned that Toronto Maple Leafs is one of the original teams who started the NHL, so their logo goes a long way back. If I make the design into something completely fresh and modern, the fans might be alienated to it.


2. Visualization Research
- Collect images of the company logo
- Collect other visual references relevant to company
- Make word mapping of the company into categories (Metaphors, Symbols, Values, Emotions, Descriptor)
- Collect visual materials relevant to the 5 word mapping categories
- Collect visuals of applications
- Collect potential visuals that will inspire the development of visual mark

This part of research is to become familiar with the current logo, and further think about the brand identity it’s supposed to represent.

3. Naming process
- Analyze your company name
- Find its meaning and history
- Define your brand positioning
- Differentiate your company from the competitors
- Define emotional connection from audience
- Define the company value
- Make a list of reasons for change
- Make a list of completely new names
- Make a list of evolution names based on the original name
- Select the best name or stay with the old name

During this process, I learned that there are 6 main categories of names:
1. Functional – descriptive names that literally describe what the company, product or service offers.
2. Invented – New word names, these can be abstract, descriptive or classical based on rhythmic or memorable sounds.
3. Experiential – Similar to descriptive names, but focused on the experience rather than function.
4. Evocative – Evoke the positioning of a company or product, rather than describing a function or a direct experience.
5. Referential – Referring directly to a founder, place, character or origin.
6. Shortened – Truncated or abbreviated name, or an acronym, or initials of an original longer name.


At this point, the history research helped me a lot with deciding the name. Due to the rich history the Leafs possesses, I decided to stick with its original name.

Section 2. Visual Mark

4. Logo Design
- Create a minimum of 30 thumbnail idea sketches
- Select 4-5 ideas to explore
- Refine 4-5 ideas into trademark designs in black and white
- Select top 2 ideas & color choices
- Refine top 2 ideas into trademarks in large and small, b & w and color
- Choose the best solution

I learned that when designing a logo, it’s best to start with black and white. If it works fine, then adding color will be an easier process. I also learned that when picking out the colors, I need to consider the background color and how well it works with the logo. Logo should work in small scale as well because it’s often applied onto paper and documents.

Thi is my final design:



Section 3. Applications

- Create a series of stationery, including letterhead, envelope, business card, and shipping label.
- Make a list of all the possible applications
- Choose the top three applications that best represent the company
- Make a short film for the company

From here on everything is very technical. I have my logo now and I need to think of creative ways to use it to its best advantages. Research once again played a huge role in helping me decide the best applications.

Conclusion:
- Initial research is very important in a brand-redesign project. I need to know every aspect of the company, and use its characteristics wisely.
- Getting to know the company is also important. I need to understand the atmosphere of the company.
- How people see the company is another key point I need to watch out. When I’m designing, I need to consider from the audiences’ point of view. I need to communicate & introduce the correct brand identity to them.
- Watch out for competitions. I don’t want to create a design that’s very similar to my competitors, yet at the same time, I don’t want something that looks completely weird out.

No comments:

Post a Comment